cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stand alone ENS protection prior to management by ePO

Jump to solution

Our system requirement is to have virus/malware scanning on a host at the time it's connected to our network. We have ePO managing a mixture of Windows and Linux endpoints with ENS/ENSL Threat Prevention (TP) on them. Most of our endpoints are VMs that we build from a base that has pre-installed software on them. I'd like guidance on:

1) what endpoint software should be installed stand-alone (i.e. on our base VM -- just ENS/ENSL TP, or ENS/ENSL TP plus Agent)?

2) how to set policies for ENS/ENSL TP before ePO management

3) any special procedures to bring the endpoint under ePO management (i.e. communication with the Agent if it is pre-installed rather than pushed from ePO)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdithyanT
Employee
Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 3

Re: Stand alone ENS protection prior to management by ePO

Jump to solution

Hi @Randy_Bell1,

Thank you for your post, Good set of questions here!

1) what endpoint software should be installed stand-alone (i.e. on our base VM -- just ENS/ENSL TP, or ENS/ENSL TP plus Agent)?

A: Installation of ENS also ensured McAfee Agent's components that is required for functionality of ENS is also installed on the endpoint. However for standalone machines, there is absolutely no necessity to run a McAfee Agent package on the endpoint (for both ENS and ENSL).

A: Kindly please refer to the below tool that talks about use of a tool to package custom policies with ENS (windows) in the absence of ePO management:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB86438

For Linux, the below section from product guide specifically deals with configuring ENSL:

https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/endpoint-security-10.5.1-threat-prevention-product-guide-linux/page/G...

3) any special procedures to bring the endpoint under ePO management (i.e. communication with the Agent if it is pre-installed rather than pushed from ePO)

A: For both the products, Installation of McAfee Agent package exported from ePO or deployed from ePO should do the trick.

I sincerely hope this helps in answering your query!

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ryadav1
Employee
Employee
Message 2 of 3

Jump to solution

Hello Randy ,

Please find the answers below :

Ans : You must have both ESN/ENSL - TP as well as McAfee Agent . It is McAfee Agent which grabs the Signature and processes into  the Point product . Also is used for Auto Updating or manually updating the Signatures .

Ans : You must have a ePO set up [manages Environment ]and then you may proceed to configure the ENS/ENSL TP policies as required .

Please refer the product guide for more details : https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/endpoint-security-10.5.0-threat-prevention-product-guide-epolicy-orch...

Ans : There exists a procedure , please follow the below URL :

https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/agent-5.5.0-product-guide-epolicy-orchestrator/page/GUID-B66FC65A-B4C...

Thank you 

McAfee Support
Rajesh Yadav

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

AdithyanT
Employee
Employee
Message 3 of 3

Jump to solution

Hi @Randy_Bell1,

Thank you for your post, Good set of questions here!

A: Installation of ENS also ensured McAfee Agent's components that is required for functionality of ENS is also installed on the endpoint. However for standalone machines, there is absolutely no necessity to run a McAfee Agent package on the endpoint (for both ENS and ENSL).

A: Kindly please refer to the below tool that talks about use of a tool to package custom policies with ENS (windows) in the absence of ePO management:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB86438

For Linux, the below section from product guide specifically deals with configuring ENSL:

https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/endpoint-security-10.5.1-threat-prevention-product-guide-linux/page/G...

A: For both the products, Installation of McAfee Agent package exported from ePO or deployed from ePO should do the trick.

I sincerely hope this helps in answering your query!

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use our Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from product experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community